Sunday, October 12, 2014

Meet the Mormons

Last night I saw Meet the Mormons and was pleasantly surprised. I can honestly say that it is not what I anticipated. I thought that the movie would be a documentary that focused more on Mormon Doctrine and how our beliefs set us apart from other denominations. Instead, I was surprised to see that the documentary places an emphasis on how Mormons live their lives. The overarching theme that I believe the Brethren were aiming for is that Mormons are normal, everyday people. I love how the video portrayed ordinary people doing extraordinary things that bring them so much joy and fulfillment.

The idea behind this movie truly is brilliant. I was pleasantly surprised to hear that after seeing the movie, viewers were more likely to walk away with a more accurate representation of who Mormons are and what we believe. They are more likely to think of us as Christian. I was also pleasantly surprised to find that it ranked number ten in the box office. It is another significant effort put forth by the church to help the world understand who we truly are. Though it does not include much doctrine, it does a fantastic job of showing examples of how true disciples of Christ live their lives. It gives people an accurate idea of our values. I was incredibly touched by each of the stories featured in the film. Though it's primary purpose is not to proselyte, I believe that it will plant many seeds in people's hearts.

It's awesome! Go see it!

3 comments:

  1. Now I'm so excited to watch it! Here in my country, the Philippines, we are making a petition for it to be shown even at (few) local cinemas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought the movie was very informative about who Mormons really are, without teaching or pushing doctrine on viewers. I loved it! This movie inspired me and uplifted me! I hope that this movie can be seen throughout the world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot wait to be able to go and see it. Everyone's good reviews about it has made me more excited.

    ReplyDelete