Saturday, October 4, 2014

Why I Hate Most Mainstream Media

Okay, so "hate" is a strong word. But I'm using it anyway.

Some may be wondering why I'm writing a post on my media blog about why I can't stand most mainstream media. I don't enjoy offending people. I would rather not offend people. But I'm very opinionated and my blog is a great place to express my opinion. So if you are really attached to Twilight, The Hunger Games, Lost, action movies, or popular television shows (excluding Sherlock and Doctor Who  because I actually love those shows) you should probably read a different post.

I guess what sparked this idea was a very brief conversastion I had with my roommate while I was grading papers last night. She was trying out a new television show and she told me to listen in so I could give her my opinion after the show was over. My first reaction, though I did not verbalize it, was, "Oh honey the last opinion you want is mine." Why?

Because I'm INCREDIBLY PICKY!

Here is my criteria for a good piece of media:

1. PLOT! I have found that popular movies and television shows either lack a plot line or the plot is garbage juice.
2. Characters. They have to have depth. They have to be relatable. They have to be likeable. Their motives have to be realistic. And the main characters have to undergo some kind of transformation. I like characters that make me want to pick them apart and analyze them.  If you want to watch or read something with good characters, turn to Harry Potter or Sherlock. That's what I'm talking about.
3. As a critical part of the plot, it has to have a good ending. A story with a good beginning does not make a good story unless it also has a well-written ending. I don't like it when authors get lazy on me. Think of the ending from the beginning don't write it as you go along. #Lost.
4. If it is written as a first person narrative, the main character has to not be. Annoying.
5. Female characters need to be strong. Don't throw a female character into a story just for the sake of putting a romance in the story. Give her some depth, please?

I have more. But that would take too long.

Twilight. I do not like Twilight. The plot is underdeveloped. The characters do not have solid motives. There are plot holes everywhere. The characters are flat. No depth at all. It appeals to the emotion of a physical relationship.  The story is not that good. I do not like it, Sam I Am.

Hunger Games. The author is trying to make a point, but doesn't know how. Is it desentization to media violence? She should have centered it around the viewers then. Is it the fear of corrupt government? She should have focused more on the governing powers. All I got out of that book was that teenagers probably should not kill each other. The main character does not have enough depth to have the book written in first person narrative. The romance is not realistic. The names are weird. I know. I'm not very nice.

Action movies never have a plot. Because the producers are way too focused on action. So they throw in a mediocre story and hope the action will make up for it. Not okay. Lazy.

Lost. Now I am just bitter. Because the show was absolutely brilliant. The characters all had depth, the plot was unfolding beautifully, and the writing was incredible. And then the writers got stuck. And didn't know how to end it. So they did not tie up any of the loose ends and left me feeling anything but satisfied. 80 hours of my life. Gone.


And I basicslly dislike all mainstream television shows for the same reasons mentioned above. Few writers know how to piece together a good plot, write good characters, and insert hidden meanings to give the story more depth.

Hats off to J.K. Rowling. Because she knows how to do all of that stuff. Long live Harry Potter.



2 comments:

  1. Sorry I think you missed the point of Lost - it's not some all end all action, adventure, or drama, perfect plotted character and formed story. No, it is about these charishable characters being LOST, yes physically, but more so mentally, spiritually, and emotionally; they all find each other and finally realize it, even if that realization is in the Spirit World (and yes, two or at least one of the writers is heavily religious, even Mormon I think).
    Anyway, you're complaints are valid, it's your blog after all. But you really need to rewatch it - I've watched it two more times (three in total), each time with different people and the show is simply and utterly gorgeous. The first and last episode wonderfully mirror one another and grant divine purpose, or intent of writing.
    Yes the writers got stuck at one point, but if you read or watch the making it wasn't because they didn't know where they were going - NO, again, no, they just had producers demanding crap and they wanted a set conclusion. Well they got it - 6 seasons. And I love 'em, even after three times; it makes more and more sense when you watch it. Everything that matters is essentially answered.
    But anyway, the rest of your post is good valid stuff... except the Hunger Games is another can of worms - I love those shows! Come on! it's the only worthwhile distopia series to watch

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl, I'm loving this. You bring up so many good points! And it's okay to be picky - we are supposed to be active viewers of the media, right?

    ReplyDelete