Friday, September 12, 2014

"Sherlocked"

Upon returning home from my mission, I was one of those "awkward missionaries" that couldn't handle exposure to media. I could only handle watching cartoons with light-hearted and heart-warming stories attached to them, like "The Lego Movie" and "My Little Pony" (don't judge me).

But, for some reason or another, I found myself jumping right back into watching BBC's Sherlock. I have been home for six weeks and it still remains the only non-cartoon TV that I watch. A lot has changed in 18 months, but I find that I am still hooked on this show.

Why is that? That is something I've been trying to figure out. In class we discussed how people watch different types of media to fill certain needs. Why am I so attached to this show? I suppose I can conclude that it fills some of my needs. I'm hoping I don't have a need for violence (though it really doesn't incorporate much violence so I can safely rule that one out). I don't have a need for suspense (because I can't handle any greater amount of uncertainty in my life), or mystery (I'm not a huge fan of that genre) or high-functioning sociopaths shooting snarky comments at me all day.

Or maybe I do.

I've concluded that it's the characters. I. Love. Sherlock and Watson. Their friendship dynamic is incredibly endearing. Though a snarky, practically heartless, high-functioning sociopath, Sherlock has a soft spot for his best and only friend. I love the way they communicate and how their friendship is portrayed. The script, in my opinion, is incredibly brilliant. The actors bring their characters alive. I am so emotionally attached to these characters that I find myself captivated by their stories. That is why I think this show is so incredibly brilliant. It is not just the story line or the complexity of the mysteries presented. It is the brilliant portrayal of the characters that captivates people such as myself.

I'm sure many people, like me, are not afraid to admit that they are "Sherlocked."

2 comments:

  1. I feel the same way about Sherlock. It took me a few times watching it to realize why I liked the show so much. I believe you hit the nail on the head when you said that it was for the friendship of Watson and Sherlock. It honestly leaves me with such a great feeling after watching the show that I can't help but watch it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed! I really love this show and the characters/actors have me hooked!

    ReplyDelete